Saturday, April 12, 2008

Quotes

"I am with the South in life or in death, in victory or in defeat...... I believe the North is about to wage a brutal and unholy war on a people who have done them no wrong, in violation of the Constitution and the fundamental principles of government. They no longer acknowledge that all government derives its validity from the consent of the governed. They are about to invade our peaceful homes, destroy our property, and inaugurate a servile insurrection, murder our men and dishonor our women. We propose no invasion of the North, no attack on them, and only ask to be left alone." ~~Major General Patrick Cleburne C.S.A.

_______________________________________________

"... every man should endeavor to understand the meaning of subjugation before it is too late. We can give but a faint idea when we say it means the loss of all we now hold most sacred ... personal property, lands, homesteads, liberty, justice, safety, pride, manhood. It means that the history of this heroic struggle will be written by the enemy; that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers; will learn from Northern school books their version of the War, will be impressed by all influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors, our maimed veterans as fit objects for their derision, it means the crushing of Southern manhood ... to establish sectional superiority and a more centralised form of government, and to deprive us of our rights and liberties."
Gen. Pat Cleburne C.S.A. ...
___________________________________________
"The Principle for which we contend is bound to reassert itself, though it may be at another time and in another form."
President Jefferson Davis, C.S.A.
___________________________________________
"Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people designed to make of their victory, there would have been no surrender at Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me. Had I foreseen these results of subjugation, I would have preferred to die at Appomattox with my brave men, my sword in this right hand."
General Robert E. Lee to Governor Stockdale of Texas
__________________________________________
"The first step in liquidating a people is to erase its memory. Destroy its books, its culture, its history. Then have somebody write new books, manufacture a new culture, invent a new history. Before long the nation will begin to forget what it is and what it was."
Milan Kundera
"If I thought this war was to abolish slavery, I would resign my commission, and offer my sword to the other side." --Ulysses S. Grant

___________________________________________________

"I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so."--Abraham Lincoln. March 4, 1861

_________________________________________________

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and it is not either to save or destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone, I would also do that. What I do about slavery and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union." --Abraham Lincoln in an 1862 letter to Horace Greeley on his justification for the Northern War of Aggression against the constitutional secession of the South.

_____________________________________________

"People separated from their history are easily persuaded." --Karl Marx
___________________________________________________
This is for those that think that Lincoln is such a saint.
___________________________________________________
"I am not in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office...I am not in favor of Negro citizenship." ---Abe Lincoln

_____________________________________________________________

"Amend the Constitution to say it should never be altered to interfere with slavery." ---Abe Lincoln, December 24, 1860, presenting his stand on slavery to the Senate

___________________________________________________________

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable, a most sacred right - a right which we hope and believe is to liberate the world. Nor is this right confined to cases in which the whole people of an existing government may choose to exercise it. Any portion of such people, that can, may revolutionize, and make their own of so much of the territory as they inhabit." ---Abraham Lincoln, January 12, 1848, speech in Congress

________________________________________________________

"Any people whatever have a right to abolish the existing government and form a new one that suits them better." ---Abe Lincoln (Ironic? The Southron people went to abolish their existing government and form a new one that suited them better, and they were forced to go to war)

________________________________________________________
For those of you who think that Lincoln wasn't for being a dictator read this.

"I have heard, in such a way as to believe it, of your recently saying that both the Army and the Government needed a Dictator. Of course it was not for this, but in spite of it, that I have given you the command. Only those generals who gain successes can set up dictators. What I now ask of you is military success, and I will risk the dictatorship." --- Abraham Lincoln, upon his replacement of General Burnside with General Hooker for command of the Army of the Potomac



"You do not propose to enter into our States, you say, and what do we complain of? You do not pretend to enter into our States to kill or destroy our institutions by force. Oh, no... You propose simply to close us in an embrace that will suffocate us... The day for adjustment has passed... We desire, we beseech you, let this parting be in peace... you can never subjugate us; you can never convert the free sons of the soil into vassals, paying tribute to your power; and you never, never can degrade them to the level of an inferior and servile race. Never! Never-" Sen. Judah P. Benjamin of Louisiana said of the compromises.

________________________________________________________

All we ask is to be let alone. President Jefferson Davis.

_______________________________________________________

Quotes of Robert E. Lee

================================================

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less

______________________________________________________________

It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it.

_______________________________________________________________

“Mr. President and Gentlemen of the Convention. Profoundly impressed with the solemnity of the occasion, for which I must say I was not prepared, I accept the position assigned me by our partiality. I would have much preferred had your choice fallen on an abler man. Trusting in Almighty God, an approving conscience, and the aid of my fellow-citizens, I devote myself to the service of my native State, in whose behalf alone will I ever again draw my sword.” This was a breef speach given by the general, accepting command of the CSA's Armed Forces.

_______________________________________________________________

I fought against the people of the North because they were seeking to wrest from the South it's dearest rights. But I have never cherished toward them bitter or vindictive feelings, and I have never seen the day when I did not pray for them.

_________________________________________________________________

"They do not know what they say. If it came to a conflict of arms, the war will last at least four years. Northern politicians will not appreciate the determination and pluck of the South, and Southern politicians do not appreciate the numbers, resources, and patient perseverance of the North. Both sides forget that we are all Americans. I foresee that our country will pass through a terrible ordeal, a necessary expiation, perhaps, for our national sins." Robert E. Lee May 5, 1861

________________________________________________

"With all my devotion to the Union, and the feeling of loyalty and duty of an American citizen, I have not been able to make up my mind to raise my hand against my relatives, my children and my home." Robert E. Lee

_______________________________________________

"We could have pursued no other course without dishonor. And sad as the results have been, if it had all to be done again, we should be compelled to act in precisely the same manner." --- Robert E. Lee
____________________________________________

"Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for." --- Robert E. Lee

___________________________________________________


"We feel that our cause is just and holy; we protest solemnly in the face of mankind that we desire peace at any sacrifice save that of honour and independence; we ask no conquest, no aggrandizement, no concession of any kind from the States with which we were lately confederated; all we ask is to be let alone; that those who never held power over us shall not now attempt our subjugation by arms." --- President Jefferson Davis - 29 April 1861

"Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave." --- Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson

"You have no right to ask, or expect that she will at once profess unbounded love to that Union from which for four years she tried to escape at the cost of her best blood and all her treasure. Nor can you believe her to be so unutterably hypocritical, so base, as to declare that the flag of the Union has already surpassed in her heart the place which has so long been sacred to the 'Southern Cross.' " --- General Wade Hampton

No comments: